subreddit:

/r/NotHowGirlsWork

4.9k

New definition for "woman" just dropped

Found On Social media(i.redd.it)

all 200 comments

Windinthewillows2024

978 points

2 months ago

Love the Diogenes energy. “Behold a woman!”

Longjumping_Bid_2651

257 points

Longjumping_Bid_2651

undeniably sexy legs

257 points

*throws chicken*

przemko271

69 points

2 months ago

Adult human chicken, to be specific.

SAHLOFOLIDA

26 points

2 months ago

sam o nella reference i smell?

capn_o_my_soul_47

109 points

capn_o_my_soul_47

featherless biped

109 points

2 months ago

When making my reddit username I seriously considered "featherlessbiped"

actibus_consequatur

60 points

2 months ago

Whoever made username 12 years ago then abandoned it is a dick.

capn_o_my_soul_47

23 points

capn_o_my_soul_47

featherless biped

23 points

Fr ong

Longjumping_Bid_2651

14 points

Longjumping_Bid_2651

undeniably sexy legs

14 points

c00lg00p

11 points

2 months ago

That’s what happens with all the good usernames ngl

Proper-Preparation-9

2 months ago

I like the username Reddit gifted to me. In my case, it's appropriate.

No-Comment-4076

37 points

Big "D" (iogenes) energy

snek_charm

766 points

2 months ago

You can have XX chromosomes and be born without ovaries

Hot-Can3615

387 points

2 months ago

Yeah, it's stupid. It's almost as bad as trying to define "woman" as a human who can conceive and give birth to another human. 😒

luvoria

242 points

luvoria

242 points

Honestly.

I use that logic whenever I’m arguing with these people, they don’t realise not all females have the general female biological abilities (sorry if that is an odd term of phrase). Plenty of cis-women cannot conceive, don’t have eggs, don’t have uteruses, etc…

Baconslayer1

140 points

2 months ago

I love when they go straight to the chromosomes. Like pretty low level biology would tell you that you can have any combination of chromosomes and any or no sex.

SlateRaven

105 points

2 months ago

I have a friend whose grandpa found out via 23andMe that he's an XX male. He decided to take a karyotype test and it confirmed it. By those people's standards, grandpa should be grandma lol

Wicked_Twist

42 points

2 months ago

Thats so cool to find that out though. Its like winning the lottery i mean its not that rare but its pretty rare and its very rare to eb aware of it

SlateRaven

45 points

2 months ago

It's 1:20,000 on average, so pretty rare overall! Klinefelter's is only 1:500, which contributes to plenty of things that guys otherwise look the other way on.

Wicked_Twist

23 points

Cool! Genetics and Biology in general are such interesting subjects

Mlem6

Mlem6

2 months ago

Its called relyble idéology.

lakeghost

19 points

2 months ago

Neat! I’m signing up for a genetics biobank because I have (at least) two big medically-significant gene mutations, but chromosomal ones are fascinating. Especially when they don’t appear to cause any health problems. Your grandpa just hanging out like one of those all-female lizard species going, “Like it’s hard?”

Random_silly_name

11 points

2 months ago

In biology class in school, it's common to look at your blood to see your blood type.

It's just as possible to look at chromosomes but it's not done because they don't want to have to deal with people finding out they're not the combination of X and Y they would expect.

Electrical-Act-7170

2 months ago

Were grandpa's children all adopted?

SlateRaven

2 months ago

Nope - biological and their 23andMe proved it. He was a fully functioning, intact male with no issues. They did the tests last Christmas, I think each person in the immediate family got a test from someone so they could get both maternal and paternal lines.

I read somewhere, maybe here on Reddit, where someone was asking why 23andMe was questioning about the chosen sex on their test. They found out they had "de la Chappelle" syndrome via karyotype testing, despite having kids and feeling totally fine. They did an ultrasound of the person's stomach and found they had inactive ovaries, likely not fully developed, but still hanging around.

I'm betting these chromosomal differences are more common than we think and may see more numbers as consumer genetic testing is done.

PurpleSailor

42 points

2 months ago

They haven't had a biology lesson since grade seven. Then proceed to double down that they know it all.

Feycat

17 points

Feycat

17 points

2 months ago

I've got a cousin who is X0. She literally has NO sex chromosomes. She was born (in the 50s, so there was NO thought of any sort of choice being left to her) with "ambiguous genitalia" which aunt and uncle got "trimmed" (yikes) to be female in appearance. They raised her as a woman, she identifies as a woman (in fact, as a lesbian) and has always presented as a women. And these turkeys insist she's not a woman because you can't "identify" as a woman without the proper tubing, apparently.

BopBopBich

2 months ago

Wait does she have Turner’s syndrome (X0) or literally no sex chromosomes? In Turner’s syndrome she would still have one X like you showed.

SevenSixOne

17 points

2 months ago

And some cis women don't want to have children! I am a cis woman who has never wanted to be pregnant, so being able to give birth is emphatically NOT part of womanhood for me.

OOP is right that there's no definition of "woman" or "female" or whatever that doesn't exclude some people who identify that way (or include people who don't ID that way), so like... maybe the answer is to ID yourself in whatever way makes sense to you, respect other people's right to do the same, and not try to police anyone else's identity??

AutisticBLT

8 points

2 months ago

Not to mention there are plenty of AMAB people who can do those things (not to the extent, but still) due to mutations and things like that

Hungry_Feed_5745

-25 points

2 months ago

But they are born with XX chromosomes. That is what a woman in

Not-A-SoggyBagel

26 points

2 months ago

Look up Turner Syndrome. Not every woman has xx.

luvoria

21 points

luvoria

21 points

2 months ago

Plenty of people have different combinations of chromosomes and identify as women, mostly having women-correlated genitals, etc…

Someone already explained this in this same thread.

ticktockbent

8 points

2 months ago

What I stick with is: Anyone who thinks they are, or claims to be, a woman is a woman. I'm not here to tell people what they are, they should decide that.

noobmaster333

12 points

2 months ago

yeah, by this definition, my mom isn’t a woman

Feycat

7 points

Feycat

7 points

2 months ago

These women (some of them, I know some of them know EXACTLY what they're doing and they are pleased) don't seem to realize that leaning into transphobia leans into gender essentialism and cis people being policed as to whether or not we're "gender" ENOUGH. It also massively leans into homophobia, because again, gender norm policing is BAD.

Pretending the TERF movement is just "lesbians and cis women who want protection" is utter bullshit. It's straight up gender conspiracy theory bullshit that aims to take us all back to the good ol' days of demure ladies in dresses and men being manly He-Men.

snek_charm

2 months ago

Yeah girl it's the same thing. They're just retreating back into their logic, because they started with "women have the capacity to give birth" and everyone was like ok what about post menopausal women, infertile women, women who are voluntarily sterilized, etc, so now it's "egg carriers".

It's like the god of the gaps, except it's the cis woman of the gaps: everytime she stops making sense, she retreats further into the ovaries 🤷‍♀️

Alfonzo_The_Russian

85 points

2 months ago

Additionally, you can not have two X chromosomes and still be a cis woman. Turner Syndrome.

WikiSummarizerBot

47 points

Turner syndrome

Turner syndrome (TS), also known as 45,X, or 45,X0, is a genetic disorder in which a female is partially or completely missing an X chromosome. Signs and symptoms vary among those affected. Often, a short and webbed neck, low-set ears, low hairline at the back of the neck, short stature, and swollen hands and feet are seen at birth. Typically, those affected do not develop menstrual periods, or breasts without hormone treatment and are unable to have children without reproductive technology.

[ F.A.Q | Opt Out | Opt Out Of Subreddit | GitHub ] Downvote to remove | v1.5

derek_potatoes

12 points

Good bot

Purple8020

14 points

2 months ago

I almost hope they don’t figure that out. They’re fascist and I worry those affected could become targets for their culture war.

actibus_consequatur

46 points

2 months ago

Can also be XY and born with ovaries (though they are nearly always non-functional).

LadyAmbrose

12 points

2 months ago

the whole thing relies on the idea that certain characteristics can be intended in some way, that somehow when one person is born without ovaries it is correct but when another is it’s a mistake. it’s not possible to define such things clearly without relying on design or intention in our creation.

Proper-Preparation-9

4 points

2 months ago

I don't understand why certain people can't understand that there ARE mistakes pre-birth and after a human is born. I get tired of hearing that "God doesn't make mistakes." If you're that religious, can't you at least blame those mistakes on Satan and do what you can help to fix them?

UnspecifiedBat

7 points

2 months ago

You can also have XY chromosomes and be born with ovaries. Bigots aren’t very scientific. But they are very much hypocrites and assholes.

CoupleTechnical6795

176 points

2 months ago

Not all women are born with ovaries. I actually went to school with a chick who wasn't. She had to take estrogen to have puberty but she mocked the rest of us who had to have periods lol

call_me_jelli

65 points

2 months ago

Honestly, I'd do the same thing.

CoupleTechnical6795

10 points

Me too

Robertia

14 points

2 months ago

That's why that guy added 'with intention'. They tried to include women like that

CoupleTechnical6795

23 points

2 months ago

I don't think someone born without ovaries has the intention to have eggs.

Robertia

4 points

I know bro

That's why I said that OOP 'tried' to include them

CoupleTechnical6795

2 months ago

It isn't possible to define a woman in a way that excludes trans but includes all afab peeps. It's intertwining watching them try tho lol

DesertMelons

2 months ago

Unfortunately for him, “intention” is a completely meaningless metric in this context

Imaginary-Painter296

167 points

2 months ago

My screen is so cracked I thought it said "with the intention of hoarding eggs" I was like 'wow! Does that mean someone else can hoard my eggs? ' (Hint the sarcasm) and them I read it again and it got even funnier because it said holding.

Kuschelfuchs

297 points

2 months ago

Does “born with intention” relate to MY intention or the abstract intention of nature? Because I’d figuratively kill for a working female reproductive system and therefore qualify in the former case.

SuperAmberN7

118 points

2 months ago

It's such a funny thing to say because it's not like nature or evolution can have an intention since they're abstract concepts with no self awareness and thus can't have any intentions.

OrganicTriangles

25 points

2 months ago

The line is there to include infertile women or people with Sweyr Syndrome and stuff similar to that. Im assuming it refers to female sex organs that dont work for one reason or another.

joalr0

17 points

joalr0

17 points

2 months ago

I've had this conversation with people so many times. Evolution is a process, not an inteligence. Evolution doesn't plan, intend, or "do" anything, evolution is an itterative process.

It's like saying there's an intent to doing the dishes. Not an intent of the person doing the dishes mind you, or the reason why the dishes are being done. The intention of the act of "doing the dishes", as though somehow if you lay out all the steps of doing the dishes, those steps form an independent consciosuness.

I'll ask them if they know how evolution even works. Variation is baked into the notion of evolution. Mutation and variation are PART of the process, not the thing the process weeds out. Any attempt to define the "standard, basic human" already misses the entire point of evolution.

4 points

Abstract concepts?

I don't know how a tangible material can be considered a concept?

Just forces of nature seems more accurate

No-Initiative289[S]

23 points

2 months ago

Was wondering the same because my ability to hold eggs in entirely unintentional

kagenoyuushi

36 points

2 months ago

…. Are you planning on stealing someone else’s ovaries and uterus?

Kuschelfuchs

53 points

2 months ago

No, I’d never violate another person’s bodily autonomy. That’s why I said figuratively. But if I wasn’t 38 already and having those organs donated was a viable option, I’d be absolutely down for that.

kagenoyuushi

28 points

2 months ago

It sounded a lot more like a joke in my head, sorry 😅

Kuschelfuchs

20 points

2 months ago

All good. I don’t really pick up on humor lately, I’m not in a good enough place mentally for that.

Longjumping_Bid_2651

22 points

Longjumping_Bid_2651

undeniably sexy legs

22 points

2 months ago

Beware, you're about to have a whole lot of trans people below like:

danthpop

19 points

danthpop

friendly neighbourhood tboy

19 points

If it helps I'd give you mine if I could

HeyFiddleFiddle

15 points

2 months ago

Me too. I already yeeted my tubes. I'd happily donate my uterus to someone who actually wants it.

stanknotes

2 months ago

I took it as a joke. For what it is worth.

lumathiel2

15 points

2 months ago

Exactly, I have the intention to hold eggs out the wazoo, it's the world that had different ideas

TheSpiffySpaceman

10 points

2 months ago

My intention was to hold the chicken eggs in the wazoo. In that case, it was physics that had different ideas

lumathiel2

7 points

2 months ago

out the wazoo at a rate of one per month

Wicked_Twist

2 months ago

Id give you my uterus if i could

2 months ago

It's the belief that sex is somehow waaaggghh related and believing hard enough makes its reality

CenturionCarmine

57 points

2 months ago

I gotta say, that's a good looking woman right there

bitemejackass

48 points

2 months ago

The absurdity of this just hit me and I can't stop laughing at how ridiculous it is.

FruitJuicante

25 points

2 months ago

It's honestly really hard to define nowadays but why does it matter. Just be who you wanna be.

AlwaysSoTiredx

12 points

2 months ago

That's kinda how I feel. I don't necessarily understand all that goes into being trans or the nuances of gender, but ultimately it doesn't matter. I don't have to "get it". I just need to respect others and not be a bigot.

DirkBabypunch

-15 points

2 months ago

Biologically(as per the post), it's actually extremely easy to define. XX or X0 chromosomes.

Socially is an altogether different matter, which is why you have to make sure you're clear when talking about sex or gender.

ThatOneWeirdName

12 points

2 months ago

Just read some of the comments higher up and you’ll find a retort to anything you think to throw at them for how “easy” it is to define. There are men with XX chromosomes and there are women with XXY chromosomes even before trans people get brought up

FruitJuicante

8 points

2 months ago*

Try say that on Twitter or whatever.

I'm telling you, no definition satisfies.

Better to just say let people be.

DirkBabypunch

-8 points

2 months ago

1) Just because they refuse to accept it doesn't make it hard to define.

2) "Just let people be" is great, but it's also besides the point because that's not an answer to the prompt given. You're arguing Gender. Gender does not care about biology, it's a social definition.

Letting them argue biological sex instead of gender because it's close enough and easier than continuing to separate the two just artificially clouds the issue out of laziness. The murkier the issue, the more they can drag it out until they get what they want. Im not going to let you "eh, whatever" your way out of this argument. Don't let them do it either. Either force the two words to keep their different definitions now, or lose both and wonder later why things never got better.

FruitJuicante

2 months ago*

What's the point. You and I will be dead in 100 years. Why care. Let people be man.

There's nothing after this life. Don't stress about it.

You want something to actually complain about, answer me why right winger politicians tend to all be p3dophiles

DirkBabypunch

-5 points

2 months ago

Apathy enables others to do terrible things to people because it doesn't bother you. Using Nihilism as an excuse to that end is cowardice little better than condoning the actions yourself.

UnionOfSexWorkers

17 points

bruh I'm dead lmao!

bonus points when you realize that each of those egg things can be classified as a woman by their terms lmao!

No-Initiative289[S]

10 points

2 months ago

"each of these egg such woman is carrying have the potential to one day grow into a) a human being with feelings and thoughts, and agency OR b) a second class human being- I mean, a woman"

UnionOfSexWorkers

...

what is wrong with you!?

did you actually just dare to just call women ....humans??

I'm calling the police!

TakesTwoToMingle

17 points

2 months ago

Not all cis women have eggs, or wombs or uterus, or ovaries.

NotShort-NvrSweet

60 points

2 months ago

I just handed my husband a carton of eggs. Then I showed him this thread.

The look on his face was priceless. Now I got to go find him to slap him on the butt… brb!

Sprillet

30 points

2 months ago

Jesse what the fuck are you talking about

ThatOneWeirdName

7 points

2 months ago

No idea but any marriage with the energy they’re having almost surely must be a great one

NotShort-NvrSweet

4 points

It is! I caught him too! He said I put him off eggs for a while 😅😂🤣

GrassBlade619

29 points

2 months ago

Matt Walsh’s “what is a woman” “documentary” is a plague that has infected the hearts of so many hateful people. If you don’t instinctively know what a woman is without having to interview 1000 people then maybe you shouldn’t be talking about women’s issues.

5 points

2 months ago

And yet the people in that documentary he interviews are that crazy cultish religious people.

Would have been nice to have a better leading opposition but I guess you need crazy to fight crazy

GrassBlade619

9 points

2 months ago

Matt Walsh would never debate someone competent. It's the same for all of those right wing agiprop content creators.

2 months ago

Young Turks? Known for being the opposite of competent. Not exactly the greatest source. As they are an actively dishonest bunch.

Implying Sam Seder the buckets of cum guy is competent?

But that's ok you don't need to convince me that Matt and Crowder are tools who suffer from their own variety of political brain rot. I am aware.

GrassBlade619

2 months ago

Oh, I just grabbed the first YT video that showed Matt running away with his tail between his legs. I haven't actually watched TYT before. I do watch a lot of Hasanabi though.

2 months ago

Well it just showed Steven Crowder not Matt Walsh.

As for Hasan the guy who steals other people's work, is an armchair champagne socialist who's family works in real estate..so nice irony there, pays artists through exposure,will physically die if his mum is not there to make him chicken nuggies(his words)

...yeah not a fan of Mr Hasan piker

Any_Ad6086

7 points

2 months ago

Reminds me the Plato/Diogenes disput over the definition of a "man".

Plato once described Diogenes as "a Socrates gone mad." When Plato gave the tongue-in-cheek definition of man as "featherless bipeds", Diogenes plucked a chicken and brought it into Plato's Academy, saying, "Behold! I've brought you a man", and so the academy added "with broad flat nails" to the definition.

21 points

21 points

2 months ago

More woman when hold more eggs. This woman pictured has many eggs so more woman!

lolbeesh

"Oh man, I really plan on holding lots of eggs!" - Me when I escaped the womb

numbers-n-letters

7 points

2 months ago

Male sea horse is woman. Fig is woman. Miso soup, woman.

I think the definition of woman is typically expressly dependent on the reason they are being categorised at that given time, and pushing for a catch all definition is silly.

JaiC

JaiC

2 months ago

Why yes, I do consider myself a miso soupanist.

putHimInTheCurry

11 points

adult human chicken

JustDroppedByToSay

I did laugh though

Losdaidalos

17 points

2 months ago

I love how their definition doesn't even specify "human"

StarCitizen117

10 points

2 months ago

That's one good-looking woman xD

ElizaIsEpic

10 points

2 months ago

May I offer you an egg in this trying time?

Hot-Can3615

12 points

2 months ago

That guy who responded with the picture is awesome:)

AuroraStellara

14 points

2 months ago

I absolutely hate when people talk about the "intentions" or "designs" of anatomy like no! Biology is messy and full of exceptions even if you want to overlook us trans people.

ChristWasAZombie

4 points

featherless biped

Infinite_Review8045

4 points

2 months ago

why do we have to define woman so specific? its much more a cloud of attributes and if enough are met you would recognize someone as such.

ThatOneWeirdName

5 points

2 months ago

Because they’re trying really hard to keep trans women from being women, but if they used your way of defining things (which for most things is honestly the best way) a lot of trans women would be women, and they can’t have that

Infinite_Review8045

2 months ago

under the definition i just gave some transwomen, who have no actually characteristic associated with women but who would define themselves as such would not be included as well. so can one just decide she is a woman or is it a negotiation with those surrounding her? i think it its certainly both.

Elacular

2 months ago

Intention? Nobody's born with the intention to do anything. Least of all "hold eggs".

PM-ME-RABBIT-HOLES

2 months ago

My intersex ass has once again be eliminated from existence

Bluberrypotato

7 points

2 months ago

Damn they'll really use any word to describe us except human or a person. We're always just vehicles for what men want.

parickwilliams

2 months ago

The weirdest part is they could easily claim something like “contains 2 X chromosomes and no Y” but instead they have to be weird and make sex about having children as if that’s all cis women are for

BijouPyramidette

Classic Diogenes.

Runesen

2 months ago

"intention" is interesting, how do you determine that? Also my amab body is fully capable of holding eggs, even human ones, inside of it

Willie-am-

2 months ago

-diogenes after swallowing a whole egg before entering plato's classroom.

raincandy77

raincandy77

Hide those shoulders, you evil temptress!

2 months ago

That picture right there is the pinnacle of femininity. 'Tis what I aspire to be

calebeedude

2 months ago

That last comment is so fucking funny

deleeuwlc

13 points

deleeuwlc

🏳️‍⚧️corn chips🏳️‍⚧️

13 points

2 months ago

Even I could make a better trans exclusionary definition of woman, and I’m a trans woman myself

yukimi-sashimi

2 months ago

Reminds me of: "I have nipples. Can you milk me, Greg?"

Sapphosimp

2 months ago

“Intention of holding eggs” Who’s intention? The mother’s? What if the mother doesn’t know the child’s sex? Do they mean god? Well we can’t interact with god until presumably after we die so why does that matter?

Hermit_of_Darkness

2 months ago

I love being a biological female (I'm making omelets for breakfast)

angeyberry

2 months ago

I think it works if you put "viable human eggs"

Scientists can touch human eggs but they wouldn't be viable out of the body Anybody can hold eggs, but they probably wouldn't be human

4 points

4 points

2 months ago

Wait, how does “biological female” excludes cis women?

No-Initiative289[S]

14 points

2 months ago

The context of the thread was "explain what's a biological female", and answers like "menstruates", "has an uterus", "can get pregnant" ended up excluding a portion of cis women that don't menstruate or can get pregnant.

Thank you for clarifying! 😄

500CatsTypingStuff

2 months ago

Define woman: women. That’s it. Because cis women who identify as women are women and trans persons who identify as women are women. So the answer is “women”.

Or you could say “those who identify as women, whether biologically born female or male”

No-Initiative289[S]

2 months ago

Exactly! A human being that identifies as one.

This awful takes come directly from their refusal.to acknowledge women (cis and trans) are human beings

-1 points

-1 points

2 months ago

Wow circle logic amazing. It's works because it says it does.

A noun is not a definition and fucking useless. Why would trans even care about transitioning when they can just say they are a women and poof their dysphoria is gone. So easy.

ThatOneWeirdName

2 things: good luck making your own definition that’s not circular

And: a lot of dysphoria is from how the world treats them, so no, that wouldn’t work

-1 points

2 things: good luck making your own definition that’s not circular

You serious? adult human female

Adult? = Mature human. We reference the age of the human body and it's physical development. No circle only direct reference.

Human = references all the traits relating to the homosapien no circle

Female = all of the traits that define a human female, bones structure,organs,genetics, again all references no circle.

No childish of it's a thing because I say it is but because sources are not made the fuck up

Who is them? If dysphoria comes from how they are being treated. How would they come to exist in the first place. No trans people no transphobia so no dysphoria so no trans people?

You need to think these things through. Dysphoria is not a placebo social construct but an actual mental condition that they need treatment for.

ThatOneWeirdName

2 months ago

You’ve just replaced the issue for “woman” with the issue for “female”, dumbass

-1 points

2 months ago

Not really because you still don't have a definition of woman that isn't shit and useless. So gotta use the one that's actual helpful

Also female denotes to all females not adult ones whereas woman does.

ThatOneWeirdName

It’s still circular, the one thing you set out for it not to be

You need to think these things through

0 points

It’s still circular, the one thing you set out for it not to be

You don't know what circle logic is do you?

You need to think these things through

Yes you really do.

So what are you going to be now

A: salty asshole

B: begrudgingly accepting

C: silent

ThatOneWeirdName

2 months ago

You’re right, I’m busy with other things and shouldn’t have rushed to be rude. The definition isn’t circular, but it does have the same vague issues. You’re just handwaving what a female is “because everyone knows it” just the same as the person you’re criticising is doing. Your definition isn’t any better really, but yes, it does remove the circularity issue

0 points

2 months ago

What is vague about age and biology?

We can visually reference everything my definition requires.

As for being rude it's fine. It's not like I am being any better behaviour wise.

Everyone knows it because we point to the physical references that confirm it.

kyleh0

kyleh0

2 months ago

Conservatives and idiots are so obsessed with their new toy hate.

Inspectorock-

Shits funny asf man 💀

Spraystation42

2 months ago

Its so annoying when I tell transphobes that they dont know what a woman is, and they’re always like “umm yes I do, a woman is a person born with a vagina” NO thats birth sex, “woman” is a gender identity, not a biological sex

-12 points

2 months ago

Haha no it's not. Your logic would imply a child can identify as a woman. And while there is that group who are into fucking kids that doesn't reflect the majority of same people who know definitions work.

NickOsman51

7 points

2 months ago

you failed biology if you dont know the differences between gender and sex

-4 points

2 months ago

If you think I don't know by all means enlighten me

Spraystation42

4 points

2 months ago

A woman is an adult who identifies as a women, a girl is a child who identifies as a girl, a man is an adult who identifies as a man, and boy is a child who identifies as a boy, like I said, gender and sex are two completely different things, trans women are women, trans men are men, you can downvote and laugh all you want but thats scientific fact, no If’s And’s or But’s about it

0 points

2 months ago

How do they identify? What references are they using to make the distinction?

A woman is a specific thing they aren't Cthulhu

Sex and gender are different but they get conflated to be same all the time. To be dishonest.

You say science but instead use circle logic of "it works because I say it works"

Willie-am-

4 points

2 months ago

Woman:human whos interpretation of self falls into whats socially seen as the feminine gender.

No more of those big bad circles,now what other problems will you try to find?

2 months ago

...and what is the majority social perception of what a woman is? And where does this perception of difference come from?

Also Tomboys destroy this position.

You will do everything except face reality

No more of those big bad circles,now what other problems will you try to find?

No just vague as fuck because any definitive answer will get you burned at the stake for heresy

Your religion is nothing but problems good luck getting out of your cult

Willie-am-

2 months ago

The majority social perception of what a woman is? The social perception of what a woman is,is the definition i gave you,ones related to sex,are not the definition of the word woman. What do you mean by perception of difference?

Tomboys are masculine women,they identify as the feminine gender,not femininity,i knew you'd use this sort of argument even if those are different.

Its not really vague,just very simple,if your identity falls within what is socially seen as the feminine gener,you are a woman,if its vague,give me examples of what can be applied or excluded from this that would not make sense.

I am not religious,i don't think we were talking about religion.

you will do everything except face reality

Like how you ignored what i said to make a stupid argument using tomboys?

Please use a real argument

2 months ago

Hey there's the circle again one might say we've circled back around

ones related to sex,are not the definition of the word woman.

Hmm majority of the population would disagree with you.

What do you mean by perception of difference?

People have eyes and brains they use to process the world around them and to define things based on what they see and what they know and thus in order differentiate between the things they see they define things differently and so when they have a perception of what a woman is. What information are they using to define that perception from everything else?

If you knew that then your argument should have taken that into account but since it went against you left it out. Just more of that brain rot effecting your reasoning

Socially speaking you many different cultures with different perceptions of feminine behaviour. Are all of these perceptions correct? If so then the definition is meaningless because being a woman would mean anything and therefore nothing

I am not religious,i don't think we were talking about religion.

You use religious arguments and mentality. You suffer from the brain rot it induces in people.

you will do everything except face reality

Like how you ignored what i said to make a stupid argument using tomboys?

The tomboy counter directly related to your argument but you would know that if you were capable of removing the Brain rot that's blocking your perception of reality

Please use a real argument

Feel free to start

SemiSweetStrawberry

-1 points

2 months ago

Biological female—a human lacking a Y chromosome, right? Legit question here

No-Initiative289[S]

18 points

2 months ago

Yes as in, that's how parents find the sex of their baby, but no as in there are rare exceptions where women can have Y chromosomes

SemiSweetStrawberry

12 points

2 months ago

And THIS is why I became an engineer instead of going into medicine. The human body is a mistake and anyone that thinks that we’re “perfectly made” hasn’t spent more than 15 seconds in a doctor’s office or hospital

TiltedLama

2 months ago

That's before even thinking about the appendix, like, why do I have it if it's only purpose is to kill me one day

SemiSweetStrawberry

2 months ago

Appendix probably used to have a use. Then humans were like “nah, we good” and evolved to not need the appendix. Appendix said “well fuck you too then” and it’s been like this ever since

Willie-am-

2 months ago

We actually learned recently the appendix is also useful for some shit,but they still decide to explode for some reason.

meggatronia

2 months ago

Dude. My immune system is so idiotic. Let's ignore the autoimmune condition I have for a moment (ms). About a month ago, I picked up a small skin fungal infection. But my immune system couldn't fight it even with the help of antifungal creams. So it went systemic to the point of me booking a doctors appointment. Whilst waiting the couple of days for said appointment, my immune system threw a tantrum and decided to have an allergic reaction to the fungus. Giving me hives and swelling. So now I get to be on anti fungal oral meds and antihistamines for the next two months.

Human bodies are stupid.

WanderlostNomad

women can have Y chromosomes

wouldn't they be called "intersex" then?

TimSEsq

2 months ago

Diagnosis relating to intersex often predate modern genetics, so tend to rely at least some on appearance of genitals at birth.

Pandoras_Unboxing

9 points

2 months ago

The whole concept of "biological sex" is an oversimplification. While it works well enough for the majority, where the multiple biological sexes align, it breaks down at edge cases like intersex or trans individuals where they don't.

Each of has a hormonal sex, anatomical sex, neurological sex, chromosomal sex, etc.

Trying to lump them all together into one "biological sex" in cases where they don't match is the root of a lot of problems.

WanderlostNomad

2 months ago

like intersex or trans where they don't

isn't that already the label then?

if gender is a "spectrum"

and every individual letters in the LGBTQ being both "distinctive" yet "inclusive".

why is thinking M (man) and W (woman) as just yet another extension yet completely distinct "gender" in that gender alphabet considered as discriminatory by some?

TimSEsq

2 months ago

if gender is a "spectrum"

In general, folks actively hostile to trans folk think sex and gender are binary, not a spectrum.

BustyBraixen

2 months ago

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but im pretty sure that gender is supposed to be seperate from sex anyway. Unless we're talking about something like sports where biology actually comes into play, does biology even matter?

-12 points

-12 points

StumbleOn

15 points

2 months ago

That wouldn't work if you then wanted to define what a "man" is then. Because you can be a woman with a Y chromosome. In somatic cells, later in life, some men also wind up having no actual Y chromosome in most of the cells in their body. So it would fall apart there too.

-6 points

-6 points

StumbleOn

12 points

2 months ago

That's moving the goalposts. There are XY women who go a huge portion of their lives not knowing such, and "genetically tested XY in the womb" fails for these women because too because they are not men, they don't grow up to become men at all.

So your point of view is just factually wrong, and you're falling into the trap that all transphobes have set for you. You literally can not define woman, man, male or female etc in a way which includes everyone the transphobes want but does not include the ones they don't.

Biology is complicated, and our cultural overlay of biology is even more complicated. Trying to distill them down to simple definitions is not going to make you wrong, but also going to group you in with people who have dedicated their lives to doing harm.

-1 points

-1 points

StumbleOn

12 points

2 months ago

You've already demonstrated you don't understand sex OR gender, but you want to pretend you do. So you're either a TERF or just ignorant. Hope that helps.

-1 points

-1 points

StumbleOn

14 points

2 months ago

People with Swyer syndrome would be called female/woman though.

So XY women exist, XY females exist.

You should try to be more accurate.

-3 points

-3 points

Shelala85

9 points

2 months ago*

Herein we report the extraordinary case of a fertile woman with normal ovaries and a predominantly 46,XY ovarian karyotype, who gave birth to a 46,XY female with complete gonadal dysgenesis.

Hmm, we appear to have some specialists using the term female in the context of an XY person in this peer-reviewed article.

Ed: I just noticed in another paper that I randomly had open that the title is “Female with 46, XY karyotype” and refers within the article to XY females.

StumbleOn

14 points

2 months ago

There are women with XY chromosomes.

The issue with folks that try to create these categories and definitions is that they don't understand basic biology, or medium biology, or complex biology.

-1 points

-1 points

StumbleOn

11 points

2 months ago

Well you clearly aren't a biologist.

-2 points

-2 points

ClosetLiverTransMan

0 points

2 months ago

Ye you probably should if you don’t know shit past the secondary school stuff

Robertia

2 months ago

Maybe they got their degree in the 80s when some of the research on have not been done yet?

Shelala85

2 months ago

Except I majored in Medieval Studies but was still able to go look at how specialists refer to XY women in medical journals.

modvenger

One hot woman

gorefund

😂

Lyntri

Lyntri

2 months ago

I don't think people tend to refer to female animals as women, or am I wrong? Also I feel like "intention" is a pretty poor way to wave away exceptions given there isn't really an "intention" at all. Though I'm probably thinking too much about how to nitpick someone that's completely wrong

MiniAlphaReaper

2 months ago

The amount of comments taking this seriously really makes me sad.

It's obviously satire

Obviously, right?

2 months ago

I think this is pretty stupid.

In biology we see humans as having two arms, five fingers in each hand, two legs and five toes in each foot. Just because someone might be born without arms or legs or toes doesn't mean they suddenly stop being a human just because they aren't as what we teach in biology of what humans are and what body parts they come with.

So if a female human is the sex which produces eggs, it doesn't mean that those who won't produce eggs aren't female. It just means either they are too old, too young or that something is "wrong" for them to be unable to. But they should still have other charactesistics of females that are tied to our DNA.

Alien_Bird

2 months ago

Does this count as r/technicallythetruth ?